Balaklava is located on the southern outskirts of the Crimea, near the port of Sevastopol. The battle of Balaclava in 1854 is listed in world history as one of the most famous battles of the Crimean War. It was here that on October 25, the British Empire, the Light Brigade made its famous, doomed, landing of an amphibious assault force for the last desperate attempt to enter the port of Sevastopol.

During the cold war, none of the ordinary citizens could even dream of getting into Balaclava. In 1957 it was a well-guarded secret object. It was here that an underground complex for the repair of nuclear submarines was built. This was facilitated by the location of the bay, which is not visible from the sea, the water level, as well as a suitable terrestrial rock. Where the entrance to the museum is now, instead of a roof, there was an imitation of a village with models of houses, so that reconnaissance did not record this object from the air. Although the bay is so protected by a natural barrier, the entrance to it is masked by a grid under the texture of the surrounding rocks.


Since 1994, the plant began to crumble. Over time, it was partially looted: they stole cables, turbine lines, ladders, and much more disappeared. In 2003, the object was turned into a branch of the Central Museum of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and in 2014, the fortifications of the Russian Federation were attached to the Military History Museum.

Free access to the museum is prohibited. Every hour groups form at the box office, so it is better to arrive before noon so as not to get stuck in a huge queue. The maximum size of one group is 50 people.

Inside the museum is cool and damp, so do not forget to dress warmly and choose the right shoes.

Museum address: Sevastopol, Balaklava district., Tavricheskaya emb. 22